From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 20:32:25 EST

Here is the response I received from Kettle Foods (although they don't
indicate what they 'understand' about Celiac I had asked about products
containing wheat, rye, oats, and barley and possible contaminations from
spices/flour dusting etc.).

Saskia

<<Thank you for contacting us regarding our products. To the best of our
knowledge of what we understand about Celiac Sprue, the following Kettle
Foods products fit the definition of gluten free:

                                Brand
Flavor(s)

1) Kettle Chips Natural Gourmet Potato Chips using OG Potatoes
      - No Salt
      - Lightly Salted
      - Lightly Sea Salted

2) Kettle Crisps Baked Potato Chips
      - Lightly Salted

3) Kettle Roaster Fresh Nut Butters
      - All 6 Varieties

We do not use any flour or anything else on our conveyor belts that would be
of concern to people with CS or gluten intolerance.  Please note that #1 and
#2 above are produced on the same machinery as products that contain small
amounts of wheat and/or cheese powders in seasonings that are topically
applied.  The reason we can recommend the above flavors is because they are
produced on a completely cleaned and sanitized line with other the flavors
always produced after these.  We consider all our Nut Butters (#3) to be
gluten free and are produced on separate lines that have no contact with any
ingredients that would be of concern to CS/gluten intolerant people.

Thanks again for contacting us.  To learn more about Kettle Foods and our
complete line of products please visit our web site at www.kettlefoods.com
or call our pre-recorded information line toll free at 1-888-4Kettle.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further help.