From:
Steven Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:05:00 -0700

Although this summary of comments to my post is rather long, many asked
for a posting of this gathered information. Thanks to all who shared
their knowledge and good luck to those who will use this in future
events.

Steve
www.ttfc.org

** There is a really good gluten-free pasta made by tinkyada which you
can get in health food stores. BUT you have to get the ones that have
rice BRAN in them...they make two kinds-all brown rice but some have the
bran and some don't you must read the ingredient list on the package and
some of them have 'with rice bran' printed on the front of the package
and some do not...some that do not have the rice bran too so it is
imperative you read the ingredients

** I am an active triathlete - have completed numerous half Ironman -
hence have also had to address the issue of carbo loading. Basically I
use rice in all shapes as a source of carbs - brown and wild rices (
always a pre race meal ) be careful though , as they are high in fiber I
mix them with rissoto rice when cooking. Looking for snacks - Lundberg
have some great GF chips, salt on them is good also to help reduce
probability of dehydration during the event. Depending on the length of
the event - but generally don't start until maybe 2 days before for a
half ironman ( takes me 6hrs), based on recent reading they research
suggests guys (males) can start earlier. The easiest gel on my stomach
are GU gels , I have gone 5 to 6 during an event !! as most of the bars
are not GF.I can also use clif shot vanilla - but they seem a bit
thicker. One of the best drinks I have been using is amino vital - works
great with no side effects for me (only hard on the pocket as not cheap)

** Altho I have not done any carbo loading for events, since I am active
I try to maintain a high carb intake.  Rice, rice pastas, potatoes,
sweet potatoes, fruit juice, dried fruit, rice cereals with milk or soy
milk, yogurts (if you can do dairy), gatorade, quinoa, and all GF baked
goods contain a lot of carbs and should do the trick.  Corn and fresh
fruit and beans also contain a lot of carbs, but may be more filling
than you are looking for in the pre-event load, but may be useful in
general for carbs during training.

** Till I was hit by a car last year, I was a cyclist, riding somewhere
between 2,000 and 5,500 miles a year.  I have been GF since mid 1998.
Rice pasta, potato, my wife's mock rye bread, corn pops and rice puffs
have been quite adequate for carbs.  I never did much in terms of carbo
fruit, and a hydration pack full of water.  Before a blood pressure
problem I used to use Gatorade, often mixed with the OJ.

** Eat rice and corn products instead of wheat pasta. Tinkyada is
particularly good. Sorry I can't be more specific about the carbo

** I buy Tinkyada rice spirals from Wild Oats.  They hold up
well to even a heavy sauce, taste great, and have the
same grams of carbohydrate per serving as the wheat
pasta I used to eat.  They also make the best GF
spaghetti I've used, but frankly I still find it a
little limp, so I stick with the spirals.

** I debate these same issues for myself, as I've participated in the
TOSRV (Tour of the Scioto River Valley) here in Columbus for the past 4
years. I'm going for my first century in September.

Anyhoo, to answer your question #3, it's a bit easier to carry your own
calories on the bike than it is for runners, isn't it? I do use Balance
bars on the bike; there's some discussion about them having gone non-GF
because of them producing wheat-including products in the same factory
(you decide). I don't use all flavors (especially as many of them have a
chocolate coating, which certainly melts in the central Ohio sun) -
mainly the brownie flavor.  Also, I carry Glutino pretzels (they can be
bought in bigger bags and put on the bike in smaller ziplocs).

As for fluid on the bike, I carry water in the Camelbak and Gatorade in
the bottle cages (2- 1 liter bottles).  For a long event, and depending
on whether it's a supported even (or budget) and what they're providing
at the rest stops, you may need to carry powdered Gatorade with you to
mix with water on the road to refill.  If it's a supported tour, usually
they'll provide bananas and/or other fruit.

I'm wondering myself about Clif shot and/or GU - though I haven't
checked with the companies myself on GF status, so have not used them.

As to pre-event carbo's, I do like Tinkyada pasta - higher fiber than
plain rice pasta and good carbs from brown rice.  It cooks up nicely and
holds up for things like pasta salad (so many of the pastas fall apart
after cooking....).

Hope this helps a bit, and I'd definitely be interested in any info you
get from other bikers, runners, etc.

** Boiled, baby potatoes works for me.  I boil them with salt the night
before and let them sit in the water overnight.  They take up some of
the water which makes them juicy out of the plastic bag when I eat them
during the ride.  I don't have much luck loading before the ride.  I
also like the Ener-g foods energy bar.  It is mostly nuts.

** Carbo-loading: Rice and Potatoes are just as good as pasta. Though
Runner's World is now suggesting low-glycemic foods the night before and
even 2 hours before. All the standard carbo-loading stuff is
high-glycemic.

You should eat high glycemic after a long run (with some protein (I
often eat yogurt with maple syrup and nuts)). Or right before long runs
if you didn't eat two hours before. I eat gf cereal, bananas.

Gatorade is gf. Gels: Carboom, Hammergel are gf. Clif shots are *not*
GF. They said they were for a while so many people think they are. But
they cannot guarantee the gf-ness of their brown rice syrup.

I use a gel every 7 miles for runs over 12 miles. Though I have run many
marathons, I have been lucky that while gf the marathons have provided
Gatorade. Be sure to know what sports drink is offered. It is hard to
run a marathon without a constant supply of sugar. Sports drinks are the
least upsetting (stomach). So easier to use every mile.

The real pros actually reduce their carbs the week before and raise it
the last three days. But with low carbs you become weak and injury
prone. I just eat normally and then the few days before start making
sure I am eating often and drinking tons. It can be low glycemic carbs.
Good vegetables and whole foods. But the last day you want to avoid too
much roughage that could cause you gastric action (though with biking
that might not be an issue). I know marathons and you don't have potty
breaks. My 13 year old son wanted to do STP but bagged it because of
injuries. That is great for your daughter. There should be potatoes at
the rest stops. That would be good source of sugar. Biking a long
distance ride is much different than running a marathon (more
concentrated, more hard on stomach) so my advice might not fit your
situation. You should be able to tolerate food (potatoes, light candies)
and gels might really get your stomach upset.  Don't change too much
from usual. And if it is hot, drink lots of Gatorade.  Gels once an hour
would be the max I would do, if they don't bother you. Otherwise just
eat light snacks. I heard that the Celiac organization is providing
snacks. That is great. Keep it light for your stomach sake, many breaks,
not much food each time.  Organic bars are gluten free. You can get them
at Whole Foods and I think Trader Joes. Says gluten free on package. I
can't eat anything when I run but you might be able to eat a bit of
those every so often. They are almond based.