From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:46:05 -0500

The recent post about needing a certain diagnosis reminds me of a
number of patients I see.

> Date:    Mon, 7 Jun 2004 15:35:09 -0400
> Subject: Getting rediagnosed
>
> <<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
> situation.>>
>
> Since being told I may have celiac last August I have not had all the
> blood
> tests and have never had a biopsy.  Because of certain health problems
> that
> continued after going GF, I'd like to have all the tests and a biopsy
> now.
> How long do I need to eat gluten before getting the blood work and
> biopsy?
> Thanks to everyone in advance and I will summarize.

About 20% of the patients that come my way want to be reevaluated due
to inadequate initial testing.  Just today a patient came to see me and
we discussed her diagnosis.  She was glad to understand the diagnosis
was certain in her because she found the diet a big change in her life.

I occasionally see comments about just going on the diet and get
testing later if the symptoms improve.  So many patients guided into
that approach then have the concerns of the above patient who recently
posted.

As to the question: 4 weeks of 4 slices of bread a day, or 4 weeks of 2
servings of pasta a day is thought to be enough stimulation.   However,
with a challenge there is a risk that the abnormalities will not be
apparent.

Stephen Holland, M.D.