From:
barbara lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
barbara lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:03:42 -0800

Thanks for all your help. Here’s the scoop:

Yeast does not need to be mixed in water ahead of time if you know it’s good. This is just a quality control step. The yeast can go in with the flours, or on top of the flours in the Zoji. If you opt for mixing with the water and sugar, do not use a metal spoon. The metal can deactivate the yeast.

The Zojirushi bread machine is nicely programmable. I shut off two out of three of the rise cycles. I did some experimenting and found I like to make a larger loaf, but they have a greater tendency to sag in the middle. The trick with the Zoji seems to be to use much less water. I will include the offered settings with the recipes that follow. I think they are a good guide, but much depends on the climate of each kitchen, depending on altitude, humidity, heat, which temperature rise cycle is being used, etc. When the perfect loaf comes out, and doesn’t fall, write down the settings. They will stay in the machine unless you reset for another item. I must say, too, that loaves that do fall might still be wonderful. I ate some pretty ugly bread, but it tasted great. I also made breadcrumbs. The only total loss I had was the first, under-cooked loaf. It turned to gravel when I tried to bake it in pieces for crumbs. I also did a trial of apple jam, mainly because it looked so easy. It was quite good. Almost like very thick, nicely spreadable applesauce. It tasted great on the warm bread. But my favorite is the bread toasted and lathered in butter. Can’t be beat.

Recipes, etc.:

1.

<PRE>I make two breads. One based on one cup brown rice, one cup white

rice and

2/3 cup potato starch flour proportion and another that has rice flour,

bean

flour tapioca starch and potato starch flour in a proportion that I do

not

have right with me now. Any way the secret seems to be to have only one

rise

and then bake the bread so I have the following times set in After the

initial warm up I have a 16 minute knead period, 50 minute rise cycle

and 55

minute bake cycle and standard cooling cycle, what ever that is. Hope

this

helps.  John in Newport News, VA

2. I believe I use the first rise.  I wasn't aware they were different

temps (my machine is now 3 years old, so maybe mine aren't, or I just

blew by that in the manual).  I'll go home and look, and if it's

different, I'll let you know.  I did also think of one other thing with

the wet/dry ratio.  I have figured out when the bread came out really

good how much liquid I used (for instance, the bean bread uses 2 1/2

cups liquid total).  So, sometimes the eggs are different sizes, etc.

When I measure the wet,  I do the butter/oil and eggs, or whatever, mix

them together, then add the water to that level.  That way I'm

consistent with the liquid every time.  It seems to have helped it be

consistent.  I have had the rice bread sink just a little bit once in a

while if I happen to get a little heavy handed with the water, but

usually both loaves come out pretty well flat across the top.

3. Thanks for the additional information.  I have to tell you about a mix

found that is great.... The name is "HOMEMADE WONDERFUL GF BREAD MIX

FROM

BOB'S RED MILL"   (I slice this and put it in a container...with waxed

paper

in betwen and freeze it and then just take a slice out of the freezer

as I

need it and I really like it better if toasted)

I found it is the health food stores and at times cost from $5 to $6

per

package (one loaf) but also have found it as reasonable as $1.59 at

some

times.  It really is a great mix and I don't have a bread machine

because

this has been so easy for me to make with my mixer.  I have started

adding

Almond Flour (California Press Virgin Toasted) that I found in St. Paul

at a

Whole Foods Store... It was about $15 for a jar (probably about a

quart) but

only add about 2 tablespoons to each batch and it really makes a rich

tast....  I haven't tried this for buns yet but think it should work if

divide it up???

Also have found Pamela's pancake mix to be great for Pancakes,

brownies, pie

crust, etc.....