From:
Joan Yakscoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 May 1998 10:37:55 -0400

Thank you for all of your kind replies.  It was a comfort to hear from
all who responded and there were an overwhelming amount of respondents.
I am not an overly reactive person but considering my past history and
doctors having misdiagnosed me and having me "dead and buried" with
all kinds of incorrect horrible illnesses....well I get scared when my
body starts to react with symptoms.  Here goes....

Many people felt that even though the tofu and tamari were listed as safe
I could still be one of those folks who is sensitive to soy.  Some felt
that since my healing process is new I may need to wait several years
until I can ingest soy.

A possible connection to an increased amount of veggies or perhaps a
pesticide on the vegetables could cause a reaction.

Two people said that since I am new to a gf diet I may react to things
that are gf because I am healing.  Several people mentioned orange juice and
applesauce as things to watch out for.

One individual wondered if I have other allergies(I do, I get allergy shots)
and said that my system may be overly sensitive at this time of year and
this could cause reactions.

Most felt that a reaction takes about one to two weeks to get over before
I'm back to normal.

For all of you who asked for information on my doctor's response:

She explained what a normal bowel movement looked like.  She also thought
that it probably was the soy even though it was gf.  She said that many
of us react to soy.  She did not think that it was related to the
vegetables.  I eat a good deal of vegetables and have done so without
experiencing problems since starting the diet so she felt this probably
was not a contributing factor.  She also said that whenever I have a
reaction I should immediately change my diet for one week to a diet that
stresses meat, rice and binding ingredients.  Also to avoid anything that
celiacs might react to even if the products are gf.  Examples:  dairy,
soy, citrus, caffeine, alcohol.  She added that it might take two weeks
to get over a reaction.  My GI is great.  She was misdiagnosed with
celiac as a child and she understands the challenges of the diet.

Again I thank all of you for you kindness.
Joan