From:
Deborah Stupnikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:24:09 -0800

Re: Crohn's:
I've been interested to read the comments about Crohn's Disease
particularly the idea that some people may be gluten intolerant and have
Crohn's.  I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease (and treated with prednisone
and sulfasalazine - unsure of spelling) in 1982.  However, five years
later, because my symptoms were atypical for Crohn's and because the
medication/diet definitely did not work, I pursued a second opinion and
more rigorous diagnostic testing than had been undertaken by the first
gastroenterologist. At that point it was determined that I did not have
Crohn's Disease and was instead diagnosed as having a milk allergy and
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).  Still, I did not thrive and the old
symptoms came back. Of course, that is because I have Celiac Disease!!  My
point in telling you this is that I have met several other people who have
been misdiagnosed with either Crohn's or IBS (IBS appears to be ((IMHO)) a
stand-by catchall diagnosis when nothing else seems to fit) when the true
cuplrit was gluten.  These misdiagnoses can be dangerous, a) because of the
medication prescribed in the case of Crohn's and b) because the
gastroenterologists recommend dietary changes without checking to see if
the patient is gluten intolerant.

Re: Low B12

Melinda wrote:

>My question is this.  Is there anyone out there with Celiac Disease who
>has to take b-12 injections?  My doctor thought I had Crohn's, but now
>feels he has ruled that out.  He mentioned Celiac Disease, but has not
>yet done the bloodwork, we are waiting for an endoscopy so he can
>biopsy.  How do I go about asking him to order the bw without offending
>him?

Melinda (and list): I was finally diagnosed with Celiac Disease three years
ago but for reasons too long to go into here did not become gf until about
six months ago.  After three months of a strict gf diet, I became very ill
indeed. I had peripheral neuropathy, I felt faint, I developed micrographia
(handwriting gets smaller and smaller) and it was my perception that my
heart was racing and skipping beats - which it wasn't.  I went to Emergency
and they found that I had a very, very low B12 count.  I took weekly
injections for 6 weeks (it took 3 weeks before I actually began to feel
better) and my doctor tells me I will be on monthy shots for the
foreseeable future.  I understand this fairly common among the Celiac
population...?
Deborah Stupnikoff, Information Officer
University/Industry Liaison Office, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada V5A 1S6
voice: (604) 291-4985   fax: (604) 291-3477  web: http://www.sfu.ca/uilo/