From:
Timely Transcription <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:34:37 -0800

Dear Carol:

I have an 8-year-old son who I have diagnosed as being a Celiac two
years ago.  He was having chronic diarrhea, looked as if someone had
punched him in both eye and had chronic rhinitis (runny nose).  I
took him to our local GP however it felt that Andrew was healthy and
testing would be mean and unnecessary. So, I took him to a
naturopathy and had his antibodies tested and had an allergy test done on
him called a RAST test.  He came up with a gluten insensitivity of
2,700 and the range is 0-3,000.  He also had an extremely high
intolerance to cheese, wheat, milk, eggs and white potatoes.

Anyhow, since I have changed Andrew's diet and treated him as if he
were a medically diagnosed Celiac he has been a totally different
kid.  He went from having no friends, no self-esteem, too much
energy as well as the above mentioned medical problems to being on the
HONOR ROLL - 95% overall his subjects, being considerate, polite, patient
etc.  However, should Andrew have a gluten or wheat slip up I can
tell immediately his face becomes discolored and he is sneezing and his
nose is running.  In fact his reaction can be so severe that he can
be completely and totally unpredictable.  One time when he ate a
breakfast bar he became so violent at school that he had the teacher,
librarian and students huddle under their desks.  He was reprimanded
for something so he jumped up on a desk and stated that he was going to
go home and get a gun and shoot everyone DEAD!  Also, when he
ingests gluten especially wheat gluten he becomes very snively and thinks
the world is against him.

If you would like to have more history about the possibility of your
son having Celiac's and tips on how to deal with people and their
reactions to this please feel free to email me at
[log in to unmask]  My first name is D-Lynne.  I hope this
helps Carol.

Timely Transcription
Owner/Operator - Dorothy L. Hilde
710 Spokane Street, Trail, BC Canada, V1R 3W2
Fax:  (250) 368-8213
Email: [log in to unmask]