From:
"Joe Murray, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 09:41:00 CST

Breastfeeding is highly desirable from the infant's point of view.  It does
place special nutritional demands on the mother, for calories, calcium and
other nutrients as well as the fatigue that goes with having a small infant
to care for.

There should be no specific contraindication for breastfeeding.  Many peoples
around the world very adequately feed their infants up to the age of 2 , both
gluten free and often with marginal nutrition at best.  This would be the
case in asia especially.  I suggest to my patients in general

1. to precook as much as possible before delivery (its obviously a chore to
prepare food and look after a infant.)

2. eat a diet a diet high in calories and really emphasize the fluid intake,
drink lots and lots of fluids more than you think you need by thirst alone
avoid caffiene of course.

3. Take plenty of calcium and 100% of multivitamins.  Extra vitamins only if
there is a specific deficit and then only under close doctor monitoring.

4. Get as much help with holding and changing the baby etc as you can.

5. And relax about the breastfeeding as much as possible, A good rocking
chair or glider is a wonderful aid for this.

Not  medical advice
Joe Murray