From:
Ken Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Morton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 22:22:51 -0400

Thank you to all that have replied I did get some interesting results to share.

Several people suggested checking websites such as http://www.goya.com/english/about/contact_us.html and calling manufacturers myself as information can be wrong or out of date.

Here is a what people said:

Let start with my least favorite uncle:

  a.. Uncle Ben's converted rice and brown rice says gluten-free on the label, therefore must assume that others are not(1)).
  b.. Uncle Ben's flavored rice mixes are NOT gluten-free (4)
  c.. Uncle Ben's won't say any of their mixes are gluten-free, there are a couple that do not have wheat ingredients listed.  I use these occasionally without problems.(1)
  d.. The following UNCLE BEN'SŪ Products do not contain gluten(1):
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ ORIGINAL CONVERTEDŪ Brand Rice
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Instant Rice
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Original Brown Rice
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Instant Brown Rice
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Boil-in-Bag Rice
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Long Grain & Wild Rice (discard seasoning packet)
  UNCLE BEN'SŪ Specialty Rices (Arborio, Basmati, Jasmine)

and then there's the other brands...

  a.. Lipton Wild Rice is gluten free (1)
  b.. Most rice mixes have msg (1)
  c.. Trader Joe's has a great spanish rice and another sante fe rice mix(1).
  d.. Lundberg rice mixes are FABULOUS and can be found at a health food store.(2).
  e.. If you like flavored rice mixes, you should try the Barkat line.  They're all gf.  There were originally two varieties, but now there are 6.  You can get them from the Gluten Free Pantry(1).
  f.. I use Carolina rice mixes.  They are wrapped in plastic (not a box).(1)
  g.. Check the Zataran's  I know they do have a g.f. list and their seasoned coatings for frying are g.f.(1)
  h.. My husband and I tried Seeds of Change Caribbean Blend last week and really enjoyed it.(1).
  Most rice mixes have wheat in them.  I read the ingredients, and although  I have called riceselect ( www.riceselect.com) 800-232-RICE and they say all their Chef's Originals rice mixes are GF.
Now, here is the info that I was looking for....
  a.. Here is a list of Zatarain's products that are all GF.  They do list soy sauce on the box, but it is wheat-free per the head of the company.  If you use Hillshire Farms little link sausages in the jambalaya, it's really tasty.
  Jambalaya
  Brown Rice Jambalaya (I prefer this one to the regular rice)
  Jambalaya and Cheese
  Dirty Rice
  Dirty Rice with Cheese
  Chicken Flavored Rice
  Spanish Rice
  Paella
  Garlic Butter Rice
  There are a few more but they are plainer - like broccoli cheese & rice, which it sounds as if you aren't interested in. (you are correct)
Ken, forgot to tell you that the Jambalaya is already fairly spicy - if you have kids you might want to add the Tabasco separately, or not at all.  The Dirty Rice mix is a lot milder and I *always* add Tabasco to it.  But then, we like things hot down here! (she's obviously from Texas)
Any mix can be hotter with the addition of some Tabasco sauce.

Giddy UP!!

In summary, I found out that there are quite a few rice mixes that we can eat according to many nice people on this posting list.

Thank you!