From:
Jamie Maher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:15:53 -0400

Please let me begin by saying I am new to the list. My wife was diagnosed
with Celiac Sprue approximately 1 year ago. She does not appear to be
"extremely" sensitive to gluten or wheat products. She suffered all of the
symptoms and was confirmed to have Celiac Sprue. As soon as she changed her
diet though she became well.

Mentioning that she is not ultra-sensitive is my disclaimer for the
information below. She has had a weak moment at times. She has had crackers
and the like without becoming ill. Therefore some of the foods mentioned
below may not work for everyone, please use your own discretion and exercise
caution with these suggestions.

Out during breakfast hours...

- We'll stop at Dunkin Donuts. I'll order a ham, egg and cheese or bacon egg
and cheese sandwich. I'll ask for the meat, egg and cheese "on the side".
They cook them separately. I'll eat the bagel and she'll eat the meat, egg
and cheese with some Heinz catsup.

- Next to Dunkin Donuts is a deli. I'll sometimes stop in there and get and
order of bacon. Five - Ten slices for under a $1. They'll microwave it while
we wait and it cooks / tastes great.

- There are several yogurts and cereals as well that are all natural and can
be eaten on the go.

At Lunch or dinner...

- At Burger King ask for a "burger in a box". It will come with meat
only in a small box and is said to be 100% beef. This also works with
their plain grilled chicken breast.

- At Wendy's order a baked potato (she has had the broccoli and cheese
without problems), Chili or deluxe salad / no dressing.

- At Boston Market many foods are in their natural state. For example,
mashed potatoes, rotisserie chicken, rotisserie turkey breast, salads,
steamed vegetables and more.

- Many French fries are OK. Make sure they are not cooked in the same grease
as anything else. We've had Burger King, McDonalds and Wendy's fries.

- At the supermarket pick up some deli meat, American cheese and potato
chips.

- Many restaurants offer ice cream that is said to be GF. I.e. Dairy Queen,
McDonalds, Wendy's frosty dairy dessert.

Other snacks include Potato chips, Frito's, Corn Tortilla's (I.e.
Tostitos), Smartfood popcorn, regular popcorn, Jell-O's, Yogurts, etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Sincerely,
Jamie Maher

Sincerely,