Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 22:39:58 -0500

Howdy,

Today I played in the kitchen and made two cakes to satisfy my
undernourished sweet tooth. This list has given me a lot of great info and
recipes. Lurking is all I have time to do most of the time, but here are a
couple of winner recipes for gluten free gluttony.

 The chocolate cake is a variation of the “Killer Brownies” recipe that I
got off this list and after a few experiments finally came up with a winner
cake. The Tres Leches (three milks) is a Mexican sponge cake soaked with
sweetened condensed, evaporated and whole milk (coconut milk in my version)
as soon as it comes out of the oven.

 The gf mixture of flour I use is
 25% Asian white rice flour,
 25% Asian sweet rice flour,
 25% tapioca starch and
 25% potato starch.
 I use no zanthan gum in these recipes. I buy a 12 oz.  bag of each at an
Asian store and mix them into a glass container for general use.

Killer Chocolate Cake

3/4 cup or 1 and 1/2   sticks butter melted
3/4   cup cocoa powder
2 & 1/4   cup sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1&1/2   cup gf flour mix
2 tsp baking powder
1/2   tsp baking soda
1/4   tsp salt
1/3 of an 8 oz. block cream cheese warmed in microwave
1/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350° F

Grease and cocoa 9” by 13” pan. Flour it with cocoa instead of flour.
In mixer with whip mix melted butter with cocoa till smooth.
 Blend in sugar.
 Beat in eggs one at a time.
 Add vanilla, salt, flour, cream cheese, baking soda and powder and mix till
smooth.
 Blend in the milk, stopping to scrape the sides and mix a little more to be
sure     everything is well blended.
 Pour into baking pan and tilt pan to even out the batter.
 I use a glass dish and bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out
clean.
 Remove from oven and set pan on a cooling rack.
 Leave in pan to cut and serve.

My teens said it is indistinguishable from a wheat flour chocolate cake. It
raises well, is moist and has enough body to withstand applying icing.

Pastel de Tres Leches

	Cake batter

1 stick melted butter
6 large eggs separated
1/4   teaspoon baking soda
1/4   teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2   cup gf flour mix

	Milk blend     whisk all these together before cake comes out of the
oven

1 twelve oz. can evaporated milk
1 fourteen oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 fourteen oz. can coconut milk or 2 ½ cups whole milk
(I just tried the coconut milk for the first time today and it does not give
a noticeable coconut flavor)

Heat oven to 350°
Butter a 9” by 13” glass baking pan.
In a mixer with the whip attachment combine the egg whites, salt and baking
soda. Whip to the soft peak stage at least 2 or 3 minutes on high.
Add egg yolks and beat till completely combined.
Slow down the mixer and add the sugar mixing till combined.
Remove bowl from mixer and fold in melted butter with a rubber spatula.
When the butter is blended in, fold in the flour, ¼ cup at a time.
Pour batter into the buttered pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a
toothpick comes out clean and the cake is golden brown.
Place pan on a cooling rack and pour the three milks over the top
immediately. The milk mixture should absorb within a few minutes and nay
that doesn’t is ok too. After the cake has cooled off,  put it in the fridge
to cool for at least 5 hours or overnight before serving.

These recipes turned out perfect today, it was rainy and cool. Good luck to
you who try them. I do not give out recipes that I have not personally tried
and verified that they are worth eating.

Dave in Ponder TX
Chef by trade