From:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marian Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:06:33 -0700

I sent the following comment to TH Foods regarding Crunchmaster rice crackers.  Below is their response.  If you would like the news release that he mentions, let me know, and I'll email it to you.  I didn't want to make this email excessively long.  -Marian

Comments: Your website states that Crunchmaster rice crackers are gluten free. I recently bought a six-pack of crackers at Costco because the box was labeled gluten free. Yet, the individual packs are not labeled gluten free and state that the the crackers are made in a facility that also processes wheat. This labeling seems contradictory to me. Are these crackers indeed gluten free, or did wheat-contaminated crackers end up being mislabeled as gluten free?

Marian,
Sorry for the confusion.  All of our Crunchmaster products are certified gluten free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization.  See the attached news release.
In the past, we had been cautious about labeling our products gluten free without some sort of a qualification statement.  Since there were (are still are) no guidelines from the USDA/FDA on what gluten free actual means plus our Japanese owners are very risk adverse and we make sesame sticks that contain wheat on one side of our production facility , we took a very conservative position to account for the potential for cross contamination through the air ventilation system in our plant.   The lines that produce our Crunchmaster rice crackers and Mr. Krispers Baked Rice Snacks produce only gluten free products.  In addition, we have found no detectable levels of gluten on our Crunchmaster products in over 3 years of testing.  If you have additional questions, I can have our regulatory manager give you a call.

Enjoy with confidence!

Healthy Regards,

Jim Garsow
Director of Marketing & Innovation