From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:50:10 -0400

I just want to share that the recipe by Betsey Carus for mock matzah, that has been around for awhile, and is currently found on celiac.com, really makes decent tasting mock matzah (not shmura, but definitely kosher for Passover). I finally got to try it and was pleasantly surprised.

Betsey (are you still on the listserv?) says in bold letters DO NOT OVERBAKE. She means it. At exactly 10 minutes, the oil on the aluminum foil starts to smoke and burn and the matzah is about to take a turn for the worse.

Considering it's made from ground almonds and potato starch, I don't understand how it seems to have a real matzah flavor. Could be that the consistency is similar and I poked holes in it, so the appearance looks real, too. It has a crunch and it doesn't dissolve in your hands like the oat matzah.

I must have made mine thicker than Betsey does, because her recipe says it will make 14 two and a half inch round crackers, and I got six crackers, perhaps a bit larger than two and a half inches.

I'm going to put the printed out recipe with my Passover pots, so that next year, I'll be sure to find it. It's easy enough to whip up a batch, even while doing all the cooking for the seders. My only regret is that I didn't try this long ago.

FYI...To those who told me I could make matzah brei with the oat matzah, I tried, and it came out like scrambled eggs with mush inside. I dumped it. Not my idea of matzah brei. But I'm going to try it with Betsey's matzah crackers tomorrow.