From:
Pete Ppisio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 07:45:25 -0500

Hi Karyn,
Hope the following will help.

>Buckwheat Flour - Dark buckwheat has a strong, distinctive
flavour; light buckwheat has a mild mellow flavour. Both are
enhanced by the addition of nuts and spices. Best used in small
quantities with other flours.( I never use more than 1/2 cup)
It adds a hearty flavour to breads,pancakes, and muffins. Its egg
like binding capacity makes it good in batters. It is a significant
source of vitamin B6, folacin,phosphorus, magnesium and iron.

>Teff Flour - Teff flour is adaptable to many recipes, but use in
combination with other flours. Teff grain(different from the flour)
gives an interesting texture to muffins and breads. High in protein,
iron, calcium and thiamine.

>Quinoa Flour - Light, tasty, and easy to digest. it contains all the
amino acids, as well as iron, calcium, phosphorus, B complex
vitamins and Vitamin E. It is versatile - can be substituted for
almost any grain in any recipe. It looks and tastes great  on its own.
Store in a cool, dry place.

>Amaranth Flour- Must be used in combination with other flours
to produce a suitable product. It has a nutty flavor and adds bulk
to your mix. Has all the essential amino acids, plus notable
amounts of calcium, iron and Vitamins A & C.

>Rice Flour-It is a favorite standby. It has a bland flavor that does
not distort the taste of the baked product. It has a slightly gritty
texture, so is best combined with smooth flours or starches.

>Brown Rice Flour-It is bran flavored, as it is milled from the
whole unpolished rice. Because their are oils in the bran, it has a
shorter shelf life, so should be stored in a cool place. It is very
useful in bread, muffins, and pastry.

>Potato Starch Flour - it has a bland taste.It is excellent for
baking when combined with other flours, and is a good
thickening agent. Keeps well. Be aware that potato starch
flour is different than potato flour - potato starch flour is
much easier to use.

>Kamut Flakes - Contains gluten.

Happy Baking,
Esther