From:
Michael Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:32:28 -0500

Just before Christmas I posted an inquiry regarding the gluten-free
status of Kahlua, one of the two beverages I miss the most.  I received
several replies, most of which were of the "me, too" variety --
indicating to me that the good folks at Kahlua are only hurting
themselves by remaining so tight-lipped about such a well-liked product.
 The remaining responses contradicted each other, some being certain
that Kahlua is okay while others were equally certain that it isn't.  I
bought a bottle and enjoyed White Russians 3 days in a row.  I felt
great until after the third day I got one of those severe pounding
headaches that I get sometimes.  Whether the headaches are related to
accidental gluten ingestion or not, I don't know.  Unfortunately, I have
none of the more standard symptoms, and the headaches may or may not be,
so my voluntary stint as a test subject has been a failure.  So let's
just keep bugging the Kahlua people until they respond.

(Any insights as to whether the headaches might be a symptom of gluten
will be appreciated.)

Michael Young
Jacksonville, FL (USA)