From:
judy beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:35:23 +0000

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about antacids that
were safe.  Three people said that Prevacid, a prescription drug, was GF
according to the manufacturer. Three others also said that Zantac was
GF, in both Rx and over-the-counter versions.
   Other responses were that Prilosec was GF and effective, as were
over-the-counter Tagamet, and Prescription Axid, but not
over-the-counter Axid. (Remember that my phone call to the Axid company
elicited a response that they could not guarantee the product was GF.)
   I was also told that someone had used Natural Factors Chewable
Enzymes and Freeda's Parvenzyme (both from the health food store) with
great success, and that both products state they are GF on the label.
  I also heard from the Pepcid AC company, via e-mail, which said that
they were not aware of any research showing that Pepcid caused a
worsening of symptoms in celiac patients, and that the starch used in
the product was derived from corn. It seemed to be an automated message
kicked off by my use of the keyword "gluten," since it told me what
gluten was, but did not answer my question about the different
formulations in the chewable and swallowable tablets.  I noticed that
the Chewable (but not the "regular") Pepcid AC contained aspartame,
"flavors," and mannitol. Some people, celiacs and non-celiacs, get
diarrhea from mannitol, I know, and others react to aspartame.
   Thank you to everyone who responded.  Your help is much appreciated!
Judy Beck