From:
Carey Hooge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 15:01:15 -0700

"Hello - Would someone be so kind as to answer me this: Do celiacs need
to keep 'gluten/wheat' away from their exteriors for ie., skin creams,
facial washes, shampoo, etc.? Thank you kindly."

********************

First I would like to say that it is just wonderful to have so many
and just found out one year ago. I cannot express my appreciation for
all the research, opinions, and devotion you all have to help people
like myself understand what it is I'm going through. I did not see
survival until now. Thank you!!

I've never summarized for a list before but here it is.

1. (15) people suggest that Celiac's need to avoid gluten all together.
'All gluten is equally dangerous'.  'Personally, I don't "think" I have
any reaction to creams, shampoos, soap, etc....but I don't take a chance.'

2. (4) No, unless DH is present. 'If you have DH (dermatitis hepitformis
sp?) as your response to gluten, you need to stay away from topical
gluten as well.' 'As I understand it this is only true for celiac
disease without DH.

3. (11) believe that if its not ingested then you may use Gluten
products externally. 'Gluten molecules are too big to get through the
skin.' '..you DO NOT have to be concerned with these items, unless you
are going to eat them!'

4. Most common statement - Should keep away from open wounds/lips.

5. (2) Depends on severity of condition 'Realistically, you are rare if
you never eat after applying hand cream or accidentally swallow some
shampoo.'

6. (2) react even though they do not have DH.

7. (4) would like to know as well.

Best wishes,

Carey Hooge
Director - Vacancies