From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:24:43 -0700

I am having trouble with malabsorption of things.  I would like to hear more
about betaine HCI, and Pancreatin Enzymes, and papaya enzyme.  I am newly
diagnosed and having trouble after 3 months on the diet.  My stools stopped
floating after I cut out gluten, but I still get periods of icky, gooy stool
that are a mess to clean up at least once a week.  I also cut out corn flour
and corn meal products because I have heard that they are difficult to
digest.  I am assuming that it will take months and months for my gut to
heal.  I have heard that such enzymes can help digestion.

I would like to hear from a doctor out there regarding starting on the
betaine HCI so early after my diagnosis.  Would it be hard on my system to
ingest this acid so early after starting a gluten free diet?  I am worried I
might have an adverse reaction to this acid.  I have had problems with other
acids.  Citric Acid in shampoo makes my head breakout in sores, juice seems
to make the edges of my lips crack but I've read that it might be a B Vitamin
Deficiency which causes this.  I keep wondering if betaine HCI might help me
to absorb the vitamins I take orally.  I am going to start on a B-Complex.  I
have read that this may help my digestion too.  When I spoke to a pharmacist
about the yeast medications the other day, she thought that maybe they too
are too acidic for me--she believes this is what was causing my fried
reaction.

The thought of putting acids in me bothers me because of these problems.  So,
please, if there is one of our expert GI doctors out there who could tell me
if I would hurt myself by trying betaine HCI, please let me know.  Please,
also recommend how to use the stuff.  Thanks.
---
Abigail

"To be nobody but myself in a world which is doing its best night and day to
make me everybody else, is to fight the hardest battle which any human being
can fight and never stop fighting."  e e cummings