From:
Laurie Heikkenen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:19:18 -0700

I received several responses to my question about Selective IgA Deficiency.
First--three good web sites on the topic:

  http://ipopi.org/idf/pfhandbk.html
  http://ipopi.org/idf/clinpres.html
  http://www.mssm.edu/peds/modell/iga-defi.html

A few people reported a history of recurrent urinary tract infections that
cleared up on a g-f diet.  Not to be construed as a celiac symptom--just
something that has happened a few people.

One person recommended the book "Coeliac Disease" edited by Dr. Michael N.
Marsh and published by Blackwell Scientific Publications.  In chapter 10 on
"T cell-mediated intestinal injury" written by Dr. Thomas T. MacDonald and
on page 286 it states "The most common immune deficiency is selective IgA
deficiency.  IgA itself does not appear to play a pathological role in any
gut disease.  There is a well-established increased incidence of CD in
patients with IgA deficiency indicating that IgA, rather than contributing
to tissue damage, might protect the gut against gluten sensitization and
its consequences, by immune exclusion."  He recommended the book highly.

Vijay Kumar at IMMCO Diagnostics wrote, "There are various serum antibody
tests for CD.  Some of these tests are more specific than others.  Even low
levels of these specific marker antibodies are of great significance in the
diagnosis of CD.

"The incidence of IgA deficiency in patients with CD is more common than in
the normal population. Studies of IgA levels in the blood are used to
determine IgA deficiency. If it is found that a patient is IgA deficient,
further steps can be taken to assure accurate diagnosis: Celiac patients
with IgA deficiency still make antibodies of the IgG class and can be
diagnosed thereby.

"Please check with your doctor concerning the significance of your results."

A thought-provoking note: "I hope you won't be offended by the following. I
wondered about deficiencies when my serum tests were negative. Turns out, I
had parasites! A really gross discovery. They were pinworms. And pinworms
can actually cause urinary tract infections, as well as lead to chronic
allergies, gastrointestinal problems, even hyperactivity, abnormal EEGs and
epilepsy! Not too mention gluten/lactose intolerance. And the comprehensive
stool and digestive analysis (CSDA) won't spot pinworms, you need the
separate perianal cellophane swab test! I don't mean to suggest this is
your cause....it could well be celiac disease....just something else to
consider your investigations. A great book on Parasites is "Guess What Came
to Dinner" by Ann Louise Gittleman (Avery)."  BTW, I wasn't offended :}

Other people wrote about their experiences with symptoms and diagnosis of
selective IgA deficiency.  I still welcome other information, and will
summarize any further info.

Laurie