From:
Joseph Zaccardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 20:16:09 -0500

    Over the past several months we have found that most recipes improve
dramatically if mung bean flour is added in a proportion of 1/8 cup of
mung bean flour to 1 cup of rice flour.  For example pie tops roll out
easily and don't tear.  Pizza crusts can be folded in that classic wheat
pizza eating technique.  We have had outstanding success with making
CREPES, RAVIOLI, POP TARTS, and  DONUTS ( did I remember to say POP
TARTS?).
     The Hagman flour mixes still work with the mung bean addition, but
we've gotten good results when added to plain rice flour (kiss your
Xanthum Gum good-bye!).  Most recipes we've seen use a much higher
proportion of bean flour--you will be pleasantly surprised with the 1/8
to 1 ratio.  With three hungry kids we have not had the luxury of
exhaustive experimentation--but everything we have tried so far has
worked  (Plain bread is one thing we have not got around to yet.  Tell
your kid you're baking bread when they know you could be making RAVIOLI
and POP TARTS).

Mung Bean Flour can be found in Asian grocery stores (and its cheap
~$1.00/lb [pick up a 20lb bag of rice while you're there]).

Melody Zaccardi