From:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Jania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:30:11 -0700

Thank you to everyone who responded.  I will proceed with caution when eating in Greece and bring along my restaurant cards.  Seems like I should be safe with Greek salads, hummus with veggies, or Greek yogurt.  Seems none of the responders knew how to say celiac or gluten-free in Greek.  I will just rely on my translation cards for that.

Here's the summary:

You may want to take imodium with you, since anytime you travel to a different country you probably will need some.  If you like seafood and lamb, you're in luck.  Also fresh fruits and vegetables abound.  Watch for hidden gluten in things like meatballs (keftetha).  Stuffed grape leaves should be fine, but ask about ingredients in an egg sauce that is sometimes served over them. Just ask for the dolmathes without the sauce.  If you like yoghurt, you should be able to eat lots of homemade yoghurt.  Hummos should be just fine; eat it with veggies instead of pita.  You can basically eat out in Greece the way you would here, except you'll get "real" olive oil and great citrus.  Take flip flops for walking on the beach and drink plenty of water. It's very hot there in June - August.  But enjoy!!!!

PS: You may want to taste test the retsina wine to be sure you like it. Also ouzo.  Both are GF - you can test drive them here before you go.  They probably also have other kinds of wine available in country. I just personally don't like retsina.
**********
When we travel I go to the library and check out the cookbooks on foreign food. It is much easier if I have some idea about what foods should be made without gluten.
**********
You could try googling "vocal pronunciation of Greek words".
When we traveled in Greece, we found it pretty easy to eat gf.  Much of the
food is unprocessed and simply prepared - grilled meats and fish, and lovely
fresh salads, rice, for example.  However, one thing to beware of in Greece
is the hamburgers.  Wee are in the habit at home of ordering hamburgers with
no bun - but in Greece hamburger patties are routinely made with bread
crumbs (they call it "rusk") kind of the way we prepare meatloaf.
Greece is so easy to eat in – I actually ended up there by mistake – I was supposed to be in Italy longer but due to some plane ticket problems I ended up getting re-routed through Athens for 3 days before going back to Frankfurt and then non-stop home to Vancouver, BC where I live.  I guess I had no problems as I regularly eat Greek food at home as it is so easy for Celiacs to eat – they marinade their meats in olive oil, natural herbs and lemon juice.  I just had chicken solovlaki and grilled calamari – quite popular there unlike the breaded version here.  They have yogurt and fruit for breakfast/lunch and I had fruit or veggies with different spreads on it like tziki or humus on them which kept me going just fine.  One of the more natural gluten free countries you will find and while they do eat bread it is easy to circumnavigate it.  Have a great trip to such an interesting country that is sure having some problems of its own right now
 – perhaps there are bargains to have on clothing!  There sure was some nice stuff I saw.