From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:43:36 -0500

At the beginning of the month, I posted a link to a survey about what
makes people worry when they are trying to figure out if a food is
gluten free. More than 100 people from this list responded. Thank you
very much for your time and insight. Here are some highlights from
your responses.

Your number 1 worry was whether the products were being produced on
clean equipment (60%), more than not being sure what all the
ingredient names meant (42%) or whether the manufacturer was truthful
on the label (37%). More than 60% of you worried the same whether the
product was mostly made from grain or non-grain ingredients.

Almost everyone read ingredient lists (97%) and many looked products
up on manufacturer's web sites (62%). About 30% used product guides
and 12% asked other people about the products in person or on an email
site like this one. Of those uses 82% of you made your decisions based
on the ingredient list most of the time or more than half of the time.
Many of you expressed a desire for clearer labeling in bigger type
that clearly stated whether a product was safe to eat or not.

I found your replies fascinating and they really helped me identify
what types of articles could be useful. I will be concentrating on
articles about various ingredients (including the likelihood of cross
contamination during harvest and processing) and manufacturing issues.
I believe that in many cases manufacturers have processes in place
that could ease some fears; my goal will be to identify those
processes and explain them.

Thanks and best regards
Sue N