From:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Metius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 07:09:57 -0800

Hi everyone, Here are the emails I received:

 Pico de Gallo & Salsa Verde

I would just make it. All brands should be GF as it is not something that goes into the making of any standard Mexican foods.  The only wheat used in traditional Mexican cooking is in their breads.  They use sesame seeds for thickening!

Salsa verde and Pico de gallo are very easy to make from scratch!

My Mexican family made it! So, here you go. I am not going to give you measurements as those can be done to personal taste.  If you want more of a certain item you can put it, as we used a lot more chilies!

 Pico de Gallo

average amount for 2-4 people. It does keep a day or so.

2 ripe tomatoes (uncooked) more if Roma

1 med. onion

cilantro to taste (1/4 cup or so)

3-4 (or to taste) jalapeno chilies

salt to taste

Lime juice from or two limes depending on how much juice they have (this is a much better flavor than vinegar or lemon juice).

Finely chop all ingredients and mix in a large bowl. Squeeze the lime  juice into the mixture stir and let set for a couple of hours.

If we are sure that we are going to use this in a day we also added

avocado.

Salsa Verde

4 tomatillios (med size)

4 jalapeno chilies

Cook the tomatillios and chilies until soft.

Blend the tomatillios and chilies in a blender with 1/4- 1/2 med.

onion,

2-3 cloves of garlic, cilantro to taste, salt and cold water (do not use the

water that you cooked the items in as it is bitter)

Do not over mix. It should have a thick texture. Goes good on everything too...

  Someone wrote:  Rotel Tomatoes w/ green chili are g.f. & are a quick sub.
Personalize w/ chopped onion & cilantro.
  Goya's Salsa Verde is GF.
  Newman's Own
  Medium Salsa
  Mild Salsa
  Whole Foods Market™
  Caribe Salsa Fire Roasted Salsa
  Fire Roasted Salsa Verde Poblano Corn Salsa
  Salsa Verde Tepin Black Bean Salsa
  Try a Google search on the subject line. I got a lot of hits, including a Frito Lay product. I also got a lot of hits from Gluten Free Pico De Gallo, including a Lindbergh product.
   I'm in Texas and get it at United Supermakets and Wal-Mart.  I believe the company is out of California.