From:
Brenda K <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 12:01:41 -0500

 My nine year old granddaughter has suffered from constipation most of her
life.  In the past couple of years she has developed a very large extended
looking abdomen.   Several months ago she started having pains in the region
just above her belly button.

I have been trying to convince one of her parents to have her tested for
Celiac.   Her birth/custodial Mom took her to her family physcian a couple
of years ago.   He said it was very unlikely she would have Celiac even
though he was told that I have Celiac Disease so he said he would not do an
test on her.    Like that "doctor" would know what he was looking for.
This is also the same doc my son said was good for a sinus infection or
bronchitis as he would basically just have you come to the office and tell
him what you want and give it to you.

Yesterday we had the granddaughter with us after school and she spent the
night with us.   She mentioned to us while eating that her mom has to take
her to a lab as the doctor is testing to see if she is sensitive to wheat.

What I would really like to have is a medical article from a news paper or
other good source to give to the mom to read and then hopefully take to the
doctor to "force" him to have the child tested for Celiac.   I have the
names of a couple of good pediatricians here that work with Celiac children
that I got from the Kansas City Celiac Group but I need to find something
that will help the Mom and the Doctor realize this is serious buisness.

Her Step Mom is perfectly willing to take the child in to be tested but
neither her or I are sure she has a legal right to do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brenda K