From:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lenore Epstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:42:47 -0500

Wonderful responses, everyone; thank you ever so much!  Although I grew up
in Fairfield County, I just found out about my problems with gluten this
past winter, so I hadn't figured out how to deal with visits home.  Now I'm
not nervous at all--at least not about my diet!  Trader Joe's will be fun;
I've never been to one, and they sound like they'll be a big resource.
Here's a summary of the responses.

*********************

There's a Whole Foods Market in Greenwich, CT, which is close to Fairfield.

Stop and Shop carries Van's GF Waffles in the Main street store, probably in
the Fairfield store at the circle. I buy all Boar's head products there,
(Bpt) and they  also carry the Gluten Free Pantry fvorite sandwich bread
mix, and many other of the baking mixes as well. There also have a decent
selection of rice pastas, some cereals, etc.  In the Bridgeport store, the
section with the GF products is over by the Florist department.

...We go the the Outback, there's one in Orange and one in Wilton. Red
Lobster on Main Street is doable, just make sure you ask before you order
anything. There's a Thai restaurant over by Treeland that is supposed to be
very good, I've never been there, but there have many items you can eat.

Mrs. Green's on Route 1 (next to Dairy Queen-- always a good GF treat to
beat the heat) in Fairfield (in the Southport section) you can get all the
pastas and cereals there. And...if you want to take your mom out to dinner,
I highly recommend THE BEAR GRILLE on Black Rock Turnpike (very close to
Trader Joes) just don't go on a weekend. Tell the manager Nick that "Jordan"
(my daughter) recommended that you go there. Nick is familiar with the diet.
 Jordan gets a nice tasty GF cheeseburger and Nick cuts up a potato just for
her and makes separate french fries for her. Also, there's an Outback
steakhouse not far away in Norwalk and if you speak to the manager
beforehand he'll get you the GF menu (or print it from the internet) and
just remind the waitress about the basics of the diet.  Oh- also, I hear
that the Shaws supermarket in Bridgeport (off exit 5 on "the connector")
carries quite a bit of GF foods but I haven't been there. Have fun!

Here is a list of Health Food Stores in Ct prepared by the Greater New Haven
Celiac Group. (see attachment to this email)

Trader Joe's (on Black Rock Turnpike in Fairfield). If you are not familiar
with this chain, they are great!!! As you enter the store, in the center
isle, there is a carousel with written information. Pick up a list of their
Gluten Free foods list, and then shop till you drop!

In Westport, near the Fairfield line, across from the Super Stop and Shop,
the Fountain of Youth (health food store) has lots of GF foods.

In Stratford (a schlepp, but worth it!) there is Nature's Way. They have an
excellent selection, though are often out of stock of staples, like flours.

La Salsa is a very casual Mexican restaurant that has a GF menu. Ask for it.

Also, there is a store called Healthy Foods Plus on New Haven Avenue in
Milford that has gluten free foods.  I go to Hamden to do my weekly shopping
to Thyme & Season on Whitney Avenue, but that will probably be a little bit
far for you.  I have also eaten at Citrus in Milford and used my GF
restaurant card.  It turns out that the chef that was there that night knew
all about the GF diet, because his girlfriend has Celiac, and I had no
problem.

there is a good store in new canaan connecticut called health fare