From:
Cindy S Bucy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:05:41 -0700

I found an old out of print book online at amazon.com titled "Managing
Celiac".

It is a 1951 book written by Dr. Sidney V. Haas and Dr. Merill P. Haas.
I usually buy any books I can find about Celiac Disease.

This book is very interesting...and quite different from how we now deal
with Celiac Disease.  They never once mention gluten in this book.  They
talk about carbohydrates as the enemy. Potatoes, corn and rice aren't
allowed (as well as any grains).  It's basically the old "banana baby"
diet.  The most interesting, although sad, part of the book is towards
the end when the talk about the "cure".  In a nut shell, they say most
children who thrive on the diet can be "normal" after usually only one
year.  They are "cured" they state.  They have even tracked these kids
from babies to adults.  They show pictures of tiny, bloated
babies....and then healthy adults.  It is quite the book.

It was rather expensive, but quite an interesting piece of history to
have.  My three year old son is a Celiac.....I buy all of the books I
can so that someday when he is a grown man and Celiac is a well know and
quite common disease, we can look back and remember when!
(I have no financial interest in this book...or amazon.com)
Cindy