From:
Susan Hinderaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:17:35 -0500

Thank you to all who responded to our request for menu ideas for Boy Scout
Camp.  The following is a summary of the responses we received.  We are
looking forward to trying all the new ideas!

Boy Scout Camping

o Make up a batch of GORP (good old raisins and peanuts) and/or
granola or granola bars using fruits, nuts and GF cereals the boys like.
Package in individual bags that will fit into a backpack or pocket. Good
camping.

o I know this might sound like something young boys wouldn't like, but
over a campfire or on charcoal or gas grill, yum ...  Maybe you could
taste test these at home first; simple favorites of ours:

Just wrap in foil:  Vidalia onions; sweet potatoes (a little brown sugar or
maple syrup after cooking for the younger generation maybe, but they are
pretty sweet tasting without); corn on the cob (w/a little of the husk left
on for flavor and to prevent burn to kernels).  Your guys could wrap ahead
of trip -- I too was always big on my son's joint participation during
events like this.  On a grill take a bit longer.  Over campfire grill,
potatoes and onions need to be "fork" tested as they will be done more
quickly, depending on size of fire, etc.  If you opt for the foiled items,
"don't forget to pack some to use as a potholder!!!!"

An aside:  those cast iron sandwich makers with the long handles are super
just for cooking an egg or two at a time for breakfast, and great for egg,
ham, cheese, etc. sandwiches, but that would mean needing to carry it
along.  Easy to flip out if you rub with oil prior to trip.  Easy ideas
come in package.  I haven't looked at them in stores lately.  They may make
one that has a handle that folds and packs easily.  Probably do these
days.  They have everything else!!   In my experience, they are quite a fun
item with kids and adults.

Have fun getting ready.

o What about having your sons take potatoes to wrap in aluminum foil
and bake in the coals?  Then top with cheese.  Another good one is to cook
bananas the same way.  Then peel off 1 piece of peel, put in choc. chips,
marshmallows, nuts, or whatever, re-cover with the foil, and melt in coals
again briefly -- very yummy!!

o Been there done that for 6 years X 2 Eagle scouts...Both boys were
counselor as well, but that's not as easy as being a "cook you own" camper.

Start by getting a copy for the menu from camp.  It's the same every week
(& probably every year.)  The patrol will get the ingredients to make the
foods on the menu.  If tacos were listed, we sent Ortega taco seasoning
g.f.  It they were using flour tortillas, we sent a couple of bags of corn
chips to make taco salad.  Morning meals were cold cereal, or pancakes.
Basics like eggs & bacon are usually clean.  For noodles, we sent instant
rice & sent tomato sauce/spices to make sauce. For a lot of the dessert
item, we just sent lots of cookies or muffins packed in mouse proof
container like macaroons come in.

Call the kitchen to see how the food will come---canned tomato sauce or a
dry mix w/ tomato paste.  You will probably need to send something along
for the camp wide meal on the first night.  That could be a heat & serve
thing--Check to see if they have a microwave or if you will need to wrap it
in oven- proof packing.

It's very manageable...Next year (prob. the same menu) will just require a
review.  Save the paper trail.

The other kids in the patrol/troop were really good about letting the boys
do their own thing or using g.f. equivalent ingredients. These are the same
kids who had been cooking w/ my kids on campouts. My boys each had their
own folding fry pan (Coleman) along w/ a wood spatula (rice paddles work
well--cut end square) & a mini whisk, spatula & a cup w/ measurements
marked, plus the usual mess kit.

Boys are both good cooks today.  Something that might not have happen if
not for celiac & Boy Scouts.  My youngest shared a college apartment &
cooking w/ a group of former scouts.  They decided it was easier to cook
most meals g.f. Than to cook every night...Worked out well.

o I backpack a lot, so I usually travel as lightweight as possible.
Here are my typical meals:

taco's: corn tortillas, canned refried beans (I de-can them into a Ziploc),
and a Ziploc of toppings (lettuce, cheese, tomato, salsa).

I make all sandwiches or hotdogs or any roll-ups with corn tortillas;
they're great. If you want, you will need to steam them before they get a
good texture.  I'll put enough water to cover the very bottom of the pot,
then use a bigg-ish rock (an upside down tuna can is nice and cleaner) to
place the tortilla on.  Make sure tortillas don't touch the water.  Then
just put it on the stove for a minute.  They will get nice and pliable like
flour tortillas.

Rice:  I buy some of that minute rice and put a serving full, plus some
dried onion flakes, oregano, dill, and a little thyme into a zip-lock.
When camping, poke holes in the baggie and put into boiling water (I've
never seen one melt) until the rice is done.

I always bring grits for the morning.

When I go car-camping I'll bring some nicer food, because there's no weight
issue.

Baked potatoes in tinfoil just throw into the fire.  I'll add a can of
bush's vegetarian baked beans to top it.  VERY energizing for a hike.

Hishy-Hash: (my gram made up that name) Left over baked potatoes, some egg,
an onion, salt and pepper, and I add a cut bell pepper.  Just fry the
potatoes first and add the rest once they're browned.  It's kind of like
hash browns from a diner.

Canned tuna makes a nice little one-disher. Boil some rice, drain and add a
can of tuna, some dry onion flakes, dill, and a bunch of shredded cheese.
Once the cheese is melted through it's done.  This one is almost like an
old tuna casserole recipe my mom made with macaroni.

Hope I've triggered some other ideas for you.

o Gluten Solutions and Gluten Free Mall both carry Alpine Air dehydrated
Gluten free meals.  One pouch serves two people, just add hot water.  My
husband eats these on business trips.  The Chicken Gumbo may be too
spicy, but the pecan-peach chicken and the southwestern rice and beans
go over well.

o It sounds like you've got it under control! I'd add Tiger Milk bars
to the list. We used to take them backpacking in younger years. They
provide a good ratio of nutritional content to weight (a light way to carry
lots of calories with some protein to help keep blood sugar stable.)

I believe they are gf, but I'd encourage you to confirm that on your own --
your standards for making that decision might differ from mine. : )

We used to take raisins and trail mix (various nuts, raisins, maybe
chocolate chips) also.

When my son the celiac went to Boy Scout camp, I sent along instant grits
in individual packets. He could make them on his own at any time of day,
since hot water was always available. But I think it was the Tiger Milk
bars that he relished most, and they kept him sated enough that he didn't
rely too much on chocolate from camp store.

o You might even have them try a couple meals that are freeze dried,
like they would eat if they were to go to Philmont, NM on one of the Boy
Scout ranch 10 day hikes.  I contacted a company in NC and the lady special
packaged meal that were gluten free for my son and all he had to do was add
boiling water!

I also would make up some zip lock bags with a half recipe of pancake mix.
Add dried milk to the milk and all they have to do add water, clip the
corner and have pancakes.

Have the boys make a few dinners of hamburger in the heavy duty aluminum
foil, crumble hamburger, open a can of corn, add corn and open a can of
canned potatoes sliced and make a little dinner on the coals!

o Here is a camp dinner for them to try.  Do this the first night
because of the meat.  Ground frozen beef or turkey 1lb.  Brown in stew
kettle.  Have diced bellpeppers and onions in a baggie to dump in.  One
package of Lipton onion soup.  One cup water and one can V-8 (16 oz.)  Dump
in one cup rice and put on a lid.  I also sent parsley in a baggie to dump
in.  Let cook until rice is done 30 min approximately.  I put this on a 3x5
card and laminated it with clear contact paper.  Good and hearty for those
scouters.  Mine are off to camp as well.