From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 13:27:46 EDT

I received over 30 responses from people who stated that they were
overweight when they were diagnosed by with CD.  Many stated that their
doctors were amazed when they received the biopsy results, reporting
that they did not know a person could have CD and be overweight.  Even
those doctors who claimed to be up to date on the celiac information,
did not seem to know that one could be overweight and celiac.  I felt much
relieved to find out that I am not the only one.  Many feel that because of
this misinformation, that the real number of celiacs could be considerably
understated.  Some people even reported that they lost weight after
going GF.  this could indicate that Celiac disease could actually play a
part in the overweight condition.

I believe that more work has to be done in this area with the medical
profession.  Those who are overweight and are often brushed aside because they
are not wasting away, in a climate where people believe, even some within the
Celiac community, that one has to be suffering from uncontrollable diarrhea and
show this intestinal problem by a loss of weight.

Other responses suggested that I may not have CD, but may have a yeast
infection.  This leads to another question.  What comes first, CD or
Yeast in people where yeast is a problem, since I have seen there
appears to be correlation.

Thanks everyone for sharing your responses, the support in this group is
wonderful.  I wish there was a large scale survey of overweight celiac
patients.

Carol in NJ