From:
United Machine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:47:34 -0500

Dear Listmates,

The list serves the celiac community well . This is evident from the
variety of questions listed and the information that is passed on from very
knowledgeable subscribers. Its members provide the essential answers to the
queries of the newly diagnosed: " What can I eat. When will I fell better?
What do I do If my Doctor is not helping me?" and on.

Being part of this list and joining a support group are essential in coping
with CD. These steps are necessary for the day-to -day survival of many
celiac. However, there are other  issues which also occupy listmembers and
the Celiac community:, lack of knowledge by health care professionals,
incomplete ingredient  labeling of drugs and foodstuffs,   and a lack of a
cohesive, cooperative national lobby  on the behalf of celiacs.

Only one thing will result in the myriad changes that will fulfill the many
needs of Celiacs: AWARENESS. Without public awareness of the many facets of
CD, we cannot hope to see significant change from the medical community,
the FDA or Food Manufacturers.

On and off, over the past year. I have encouraged listmembers to join me in
what I called the  National Exposure Initiative. This was a letter writing
/e-mail camping which targeted media in the US.  I would post a name and
address  of a media outlet and urge listmembers to encourage stories about
CD.

Some of you joined me in this effort and may have shared my discouragement
by the responses received  from news organizations. I received a letter
from ABC' s 20-20, which said, to the effect. "Sorry, but time constraints
limit us to three stories each week." Some time later, I watched a 20-20
report on the amazingly important topic of pet psychology!! ( Pet owners,
please don't e-mail me for slighting your neurotic canine).

Yet, I think such an initiative is s good idea even more so if the US
member ship of the celiac list joins in the effort.

So, I issue this challenge.

To  every listmembers: Once each month, write to the target I post on the
list.

To national celiac organizations/ publications :  Put the target on your
 mailing list. Publicize this effort in your publications .

Let me know if you are willing to join me.

Dan Davis