From:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lora Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:35:00 -0500

Here are more general comments. ~Lora

I have had celiac disease for over 5 years.  Recently, I developed colitis
(not ulcerated, however). My own layman understanding is that Celiac Disease
affects the small intestine and the colitis is an irritation of the colon in
the lower intestine.  Now, WHY this happens, is a mystery to me.  It seems
that my colitis is active when I eat certain foods.  It may be different for
others.  My lower intestine swings between constipation and diarrhea, too.

My daughter has Crohn's disease and is gluten intolerant, we believe, as a
result of the Crohn's disease (which is similar to UC). She was diagnosed
with Crohn's at age 8 and treated with steroids and azathioprine, but
continued to have diarrhea.  Two years later, she had a lot of labs done to
evaluate her for ADHD (attention deficit disorder) and it was found that she
had a high level of anti-gliadin IgG antibodies.  She was put on a gf diet
and the diarrhea stopped in 2 or 3 weeks.  Her gastroenterologist theorized
that gliadin (wheat protein) particles were able to access her blood stream
via the bloody, oozing sores in her small intestine - the body recognized
these as foreign proteins and formedantibodies.  The body responds to wheat
with diarrhea to 'flush out' the 'evil' invading proteins (a little humor).
She has been gf for 9 years and is thriving.

I was diagnosed with a host of things including ulcerative colitis about 20
years ago.  Discovered Celiac about 6 years ago finally.  My 83 year old
mother was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, gee, I've been telling
her for years that she has celiac and she admits feeling better after
visiting me where I only cook GF.  Makes a person wonder.

I am diagnosed Celiac.  I also was just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
All the Gastro guys were telling me I was getting into gluten, which I know
I was not.  I wasn't eating, trying to figure out what was causing me pain
and diarrhea all the time.  I lost 20 lbs in the process (that was good, but
painful).  After several months of arguing with drs., I had to have an
endoscopy and colonoscopy and wala... ulcerative colitis.  I am now on
Asacol and low dose prednisone and doing much much better. I understand that
once you have one autoimmune disease, you are prone to others...

I have been celiac for almost 10 years.  I was fine until a very bad bout of
food poisoning several months ago.  I just had a repeat endoscopy and
colonoscopy.  My doctor said I had colitis.  I am now on Endocort and
improving.  It is my understanding that one has nothing to do with the other.

Our daughter is celiac and has had intestinal bleeding last spring.  She had
a long course of Augmentin for bronchitis and then started with diarrhea and
then bleeding.  I don't know if it was UC, Crohns or just vitamin deficiency
since she has battled deficiencies for some time. She was given Xifaxan to
kill any overgrowth from the antibiotic (4 wks) and then she took iFLORA, a
16-variety probiotic from sedonalabs.com which got rid of 4 mo. of diarrhea
in 1 week taking 1/2 tsp 3x a day.  The bleeding improved but she needed to
take vitamin K again, which happens periodically (100mcg twice a week then
once a week for maintenance). I think UC is gluten intolerant too, possibly
directly, or possibly because it causes deficiencies or possibly because the
wrong chemistry in the gut breeds bad bug.  You could try the stool antibody
test from enterolab.com which is not invasive like endoscopy.  It diagnosed
our daughter correctly.

I have been diagnosed with ucerative colitis, and not celiac.  What I have
found out is that colitis is a gluten intolerance, as well as dairy.  I have
cut both out of my diet and have still had problems.   There's other factors
with colitis, stress can trigger symptoms, but there's no known cause.
Every one with colitis can experience different symptoms, and different
triggers.  So it's a tricky diagnosis.  Everything that I have researched
says that it is hereditary.  I was not willing to admit that, I think that
there is a cause for everything, but then I thought that people with other
diseases like diabetes, it can just be hereditary.  I have come to terms
that I am doing nothing to make my symptoms worse, and it has helped me to
feel better.

*******
*******