From:
Janice Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 18:48:46 -0500

Have any of you had to cut back from full-time to part-time work because of celiac disease?

I ask because I'm having trouble getting through a full day of work every day due to sluggishness. I have a job that requires being analytical, creative, and enterprising -- and a high energy level. Aside from being tired, I can't muster up any interest, brainpower, or mental energy for work. I feel like I'm running on fumes. I don't think it's just the job I'm in, because even contemplating other full-time jobs in my field, which I like, makes me feel the same way.

I am anemic (low ferritin level) and I know this contributes.  I've been on a gluten-free diet for almost two months now and while the stomachaches have stopped, the tiredness hasn't. I have just started going lactose-free but I think that will not be enough to remedy my job situation.

In light of all of this, I am considering quitting my job to work part-time at something less challenging until I rebound somewhat. However, I feel guilty about quitting my job, not just because of the loss of income (and because there are no part-time job openings to apply for right now), but because I suspect that other people with celiac probably manage to work-full time. Does everyone else just tough it out? (I realize that everyone's symptoms vary in severity and type.)

Also, if you are looking for another job, how open are you about having celiac disease? I think it will look suspicious that I've quit a fairly high-level job (in the library field, at least ) after five months to work part-time. If I'm questioned about this during an interview I'm unsure how much to disclose.

Thanks for your patience with this long and involved question.

Janice

*******
*******