Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:00:02 -0500

Hi All--

I found a terrific way to make creamed soup of almost anything without using
flour mixes or cream. The first thing I tried it on was spinach soup...I
thought I would share this with you as it turns out a perfect bright green
for St. Patrick's Day. And it tastes good! If you don't like spinach, use
broccoli for the green color. It also works well with almost any veggie.

1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into small pieces
Chicken broth - enough to cook potato in (I use Kitchen Basics)
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed through garlic press
1 bag of fresh spinach, stems removed
Milk

Boil potato in chicken broth until potato is well done. Drain in colander
and set aside. In a large skillet with 1-2 Tbs of olive oil, heat garlic.
Add all of the spinach and lightly saute, constantly stirring and turning
until leaves turn dark green and wilt, 1-2 minutes; remove from heat. Place
the cooked potato in a blender and add the spinach. Add a small amount of
milk (cow, soy, rice, etc.) Blend. Continue to add milk a little at a time
until the soup reaches the consistency you want. Take care to keep the lid
on the blender as the ingredients are hot. Add salt and/or pepper to taste.
Add a dollop of sour cream if you like, or sprinkle crisp bacon on top.
Serve with a slice of warm Irish soda bread.

This does not make a lot of soup - enough for two people...maybe. It's has a
very mild taste and bright green color. It freezes in individual containers
very well. Be careful when reheating in a microwave - it tends to "billow"
up. ~~Ayn in Alabama

*******
*******