From:
Dave Westheimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:33:09 -0500

do not want this discussion to degenerate into a war of words, but you are
studiously avoiding a response to the issues I raised.

Regardless of what Ann Whelan said, I have quoted specific ATF regulations
which allow gluten-containing material to be added after distillation,

*without* label disclosure, to almost all distilled spirits except bourbon
and (plain) vodka. Are you saying that these regulations do not exist? That
Ann Whelan has researched every distillery in the country and can
categorically assure us that no such additives are being used? We are not
talking about natural and artificial flavors in food products. That is not
an answer to the issue I raised.

I did not hear Don Kasarda's words at the symposium. However, I have raised
a specific issue regarding whether or not the congeners present in virtually
all distilled spirits (except vodka) could contain gluten peptides. The
chemists at one of the big three distillate manufacturers have been unable
to answer this question yet. Are you saying that Don Kasarda, who is not a
distillery chemist, has specifically researched this issue and has answered
this question? If so, please give us the specifics. Otherwise you are not
answering the issue I raised.

You claim that we in the US are discounting the words of knowledgable
scientists. Please, give us the specific words: not just that someone says
this is OK, but specific research to back it up. What celiacs in other
countries do is important only if there is scientific evidence to back up
their decisions. It is not sufficient to say that they "do not seem to be
suffering ill effects". Knowing what we do about CD, I'm not willing to
stake my health on that.

Your extensive comments on bourbon mystify me. I *specifically* stated that
bourbon and (plain) vodka cannot have anything added after distillation, and
I did not state or imply in any way that bourbon was different in the US
than elsewhere. Then, despite the regulations I cited which specifically
allow most *other* spirits to be flavored and colored after distillation,
you again assert without corroboration that flavorings if any are added
before distillation.

I do understand your concerns. I strongly disagree with some of CSA/USA's
restrictions which have no scientific basis. But eliminating restrictions
without scientific basis is even more dangerous.

Dave Westheimer
Minneapolis, MN, USA