From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:16:02 -0400

Sweettarts show up on all the lists of gluten-free candy but they seem to make me sick.  Does anyone else have this reaction?

They are made with maltodextrin (which I know comes from corn) and malic acid which (as I understand it) is a commonly occurring ingredient in tart fruit.

Here's the back-story: An ear-nose-and-throat doctor wants me to eat candies that make my salivary glands work hard.  Sweettarts seem to be the best candy for this.  I ate some last week and got really sick -- like in the days before I was diagnosed with CD.

So I stopped eating them and for the next few days I only ate food that I was 100% sure were safe.

Then, once I'd gotten my body back to normal, this morning I ate one Sweettart.  Within seconds, I started feeling sick to my stomach.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Richard Paul
Washington, DC