From:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:37:01 -0500

Thanks everybody!  Lots of things to try!

*  use less butter (about 15 cookies and 1 ½ tbsp butter), and then
pat it down gently so it isn’t as compacted.

* use the gf shortbread cookies as a crust before and it was really
good.  Cookies crumbs with butter and sugar.

* kinnickinick has a oreo-like cookie crumb.

* use the kinnitoos  (think thats the name) w/out the middles and they
worked

* I like the KinniToos from
Kinnikinnick, but not the MiDel or Glutino Oreo-like cookies.

* use Jo-Sef brand chocolate graham crackers.  I crush them in a
blender and
mix with butter for a crust for a chocolate cheesecake and it is
great.  I
do a one for one replacement.

* Not sure if you can get "Skinny Crisps" where you are, but they're a
wonderful, crisp, sturdy cracker/cookie that crushes beautifully for
chocolate crusts. There is a chocolate brownie version as well as a
cinnamon version.

* I have had good results with making the mock oreo recipe in Gluten-
free Gourmet makes Dessert.  I also got decent results with making
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream with this recipe.

* There are 3 brand that I know of that make this type of cookie--
MiDel, Glutano (I think is the right brand, I don't eat this one since
it isn't kosher) and Josef's (?cookies/bakery??). I personally think
Josef's is closer to oreo's and had oreo eating friends taste test
them for me who agreed with my assessment.

* GF animal crackers work pretty well. I've used the vanilla and
chocolate versions and both seem to work well.

* Try something like Cocoa Pepples & add a bit of canned frosting for
the filling.

Brownie crumbs would also work.  I've actually baked a thin layer of
brownies in the bottom of a spring form pan and then baked cheese cake
on top of that.

*  I use Kinnikinnick Chocolate Cookie crumbs for all crusts that call
for Oreo crumbs and have not had one problem yet!

You can mail order them to wherever you live (you did not mention it)
or perhaps buy them or have a gluten free store that carries
Kinnikinnick products bring them in for you.  I also like their graham
cracker crumbs and their crackers too!

* I recently made a great pie using a GF rice crispy cereal as a base
for a crumb crust.  I ran the cerea through the blender and put it
into my regular graham cracker crust recipe.  It got great compliments
at  party, no one guessed it was GF.

*  This is a recipe for gluten free chocolate cookie wafers.  I think
they
could be used to crush and mix with melted butter to make a crust.  I
have
never tried it, but looks like it would work!
http://fireandsalt.blogspot.com/2009/12/gluten-free-chocolate-cookie-wafers
.
html

*
I have used the Orgran chocolate animal crackers/cookies as a crumb
base and it worked well.