From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 09:10:12 EST

I've found I can sub oil for shortening in recipes like quick breads, by
using 1/3 less oil than the amount of shortening called for.  If it calls for
1 c. shortening, it goes to 2/3 c. oil.  3/4 goes to 1/2, 1/3 to 1/4. (I
usually make bake with oriental white rice flour & a bit of sweet rice & it
doesn't absorb oil as well as wheat flour does.  A mix of 3:1 white rice w/
cornstarch (w/ 1/4 tsp xantham/cup) can be used in recipes which call for
lots of shortening--the crust for bar cookies, since the cornstarch does
absorb the grease better than most g.f. flours.)  Some things that need to be
crisp, like choco chip cookies, still require solid shortening.

Bev in Milwaukee