From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 11:32:01 -0400

Wow, my posting seems to have stirred up a lot of people. Most of the
replies I got defended Pastariso, some asked why I didn't like it, and some
asked what I preferred or stated their own preferences. So here's a summary:

Like it: 5

Like some of their products: 1 Mac&Cheese, 1 spinach, 1 everything but elbows

Hate it: 2 (+myself)

I tried the elbows, which I found barely edible. They get slimy while they
cook, long before they are done (no, I did not overcook them), they have a
strong, bad smell, a bit like old cooked rice that's reheated in the
microwave, but worse, or wet cardboard, and they taste like they smell. Now
one person said elbows were the only Pastariso product that they didn't
like, so maybe I got the wrong kind, but I remember trying the spinach
spaghetti and not liking these.
Some people suggested just using oriental rice pasta, which is much cheaper
than the diet food, and one person said she loved Corn+Quinoa pasta. This
happens to be my personal favorite, too. The brand is called "Ancient
Quinoa Harvest" and my local grocery store (Tops) stocks it with the
regular pasta. I think this is always a good sign, because I think
manufacturers and stores often believe that if it's dietary food, it will
be bought no matter how bad it is. Unfortunately this pasta does have a
problem with cross-contamination, once in a while I find a suspiciously
pale noodle mixed in.  I also like the Aproten brand pasta, and the EnerG
rice pasta is ok, too. The latter comes in all kinds of shapes, including
Lasagne and Canneloni.

Sylvia