From:
Jeff Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 17:40:16 -0400

I need to buy a new bread machine, but none of the ones recommended for
gluten-free bread has a fan-assisted cooling cycle, as far as I can tell. Has
anybody found one that does?

Page 27 of the paperback version of Bette Hagman's book "More from the
Gluten-Free Gourmet" says, "It is desirable for the machine to have a strong
fan for the cool-down cycle. If it doesn't you will have to remove the bread
immediately after baking; it becomes soggy if left in the pan. ... The
machine... should have a cool-down cycle. This means you don't have to be
home when the cycle ends, giving you even more freedom. It also prevents
burned hands, for there is very little room to maneuver a hot pan of bread
inside the machine."

I called Red Star Yeast (1-800/423-5422) and got their list of ten machines
recommended for gluten-free bread, but none of those listed has a
fan-assisted cool-down cycle, and the very nice and helpful woman at Red Star
didn't know of a good gluten-free dough making machine that does. I also
looked through old posts to this List, many of which mentioned machines by
Welbilt, but the person who answered the phone at Welbilt told me that none
of their machines has a fan to cool the bread.

Apparently the Regal model 6761 has a fan-assisted cool-down cycle, but it is
a "horizontal" machine (whatever that means) and is not recommended by Red
Star for gluten-free bread-making.

I cannot always be home when the bread is finished, and because of the
spoilability of the ingredients we use, it isn't recommended to use a
delay-timer feature (which delays start of the machine until a set time, so
as to delay the time the loaf is finished).

How do people deal with this situation besides staying home or resigning
oneself to either poorly mixed or soggy bread?
Please respond privately to me; if there are helpful answers I will summarize
them back to the List.

Thanks.
Jeff Golden