From:
steven block <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 08:27:59 -0600

Here goes my first summary.  First off, I was amazed by the number of
contrary to the popular notion of malabsorption, are overweight like
myself.  This is important to me because since I have so few symptoms (I
could eat a sandwich without any effects but I couldn't eat a dish of
pasta without having my stomach react or lactose products) that I often
doubt the seriousness of this problem.

        A general thread seemed to be that one rationale for the overweight
problems is that the body overcompensates in trying to grab whatever
nutritional benefits it can since the absorption process is suspect.
Whether this is medically accurate or not it does make sense. An
important practical remedy was offered by someone who uses Betaine
Hydrochloride which apparently is stomach acid and available at health
food stores.  Since I tend to be gun shy about any medications, this
looks like an over-the-counter possibility to explore.

        Finally, as you all know, every person had unique symptoms and unique
problems which confirmed my own suspicions since some ate quinoa and
some didn't, some ate corn and some didn't, some ate oats and some
didn't - having few gross symptoms, it isn't clear to me how to even
assess whether the corn I eat causes problems, etc. but my gut feeling
would be to stay away from most suspicious substances...

Thanks for all the energetic responses.

                                        -Steve Block