From:
Leslie Granson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Granson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:02:16 -0400

Dear Listmates:

I am appealing to this wonderful list in an attempt to help my (diagnosed)
celiac daughter make a very difficult decision.  My daughter, Laura, is
almost 8 months pregnant ; she and her husband are stressed and conflicted
about what choices to make about vaccinating their newborn in the future.

The first question that my daughter has is this:  what have other celiac
mothers (and/or fathers) on this list done about immunizing their infants
and older children?  The research shows a correlation between autism and
celiac disease;  other research, which is not so readily available to the
public, also shows a link between MMR vaccines and a possible reaction
leading to autism shortly thereafter.  The other main question which my
daughter asked me to put to the list is this:  Is there a known link,
however slim, between any of the other vaccines (for example, the polio
vaccine, the TB vaccine, etc) and autism?

This is a controversial and very emotional subject; it is also very scary to
deal with this issue.  Please do not write angry letters chastising and
condemning those who might conceivably make the decision, based on medical
grounds, not to vaccinate their children in an attempt to save them from an
immunization reaction which could possibly lead to autism.  We are
interested only in positive ideas and suggestions.  They have not made their
decision yet and it will not be helpful to them to be reprimanded in advance
for trying to research  this matter before making this very important
decision.

My daughter and son-in-law live in the historic Brooklyn area (Boreum Hills)
and are also interested to know if anyone has a pediatrician they like in
that general area or in Manhattan; they are looking for someone who is
open-minded about alternative medicine, as well as open to discussing this
stressful subject of immunizations.  My daughter tells me that she needs to
choose a pediatrician soon and she is in somewhat of a panic about this
whole situation.

I will forward your responses to my daughter. I will also summarize to the
list.   Thank you so much in advance for any constructive information and/or
experiences which you can share ...........best wishes,  Leslie in Atlanta