From:
Patrick D. Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:00:48 EST

Thanks to all who helped calm my nerves about my first trip Gluten Free.
Here's what I learned:

Yes,   Airlines do provide  Gluten Free meals,  and YES,  they do get things
wrong occasionally!  We flew United to London and the first meal was fine,
G.F. and all that,  the   second.....Not at all....I  spoke kindly to the
Flight attendant and she brought me fruit and Yoghourt  from First Class,
which was nice.  BUT,  I followed the advice of fellow Celiacs from this list
and brought in a back pack  G.F.  goodies like gf  crackers,  dried fruit,
nuts  and g.f.  cookies....all was well.

Whilst in London:   Sainsbury's Super Market Chain  and the Health Food Chain
of Holland & Barrett  both were  replete with G.F. Foods, and luckily,  since
we rented a Flat,  we had a kitchen.   When out at restaurants I asked for
things to be steamed and without sauces so that seemed to work.   The biggest
part was  just getting over my panic  (I'm only about  4  weeks gluten free).
 But anyway,  I kept my cool for the most part thanks to all of the kind
people who wrote me with suggestions, ideas and general support.  Thanks!
Patrick.