From:
Karina Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karina Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:27:39 -0800

I sent this:

Dear Mr. Anthony Goff,

It has come to my attention that author Lynne Truss
has written a passage about how intolerable those of
us with celiac disease (gluten intolerance) have
become; and that, alas, she is sick of hearing about
"gluten free".

Please pass this along to her:

Dear Ms. Truss,

Until my diagnosis of celiac disease in 2001, I
thought
I was dying. I had lost twenty pounds (I was skin and
bones!) and was spending my days planning strategies
around access to a toilet (the loo, I think you call
it?). Food went right through me. I developed
posterior cataracts from malnutrition (I was 45 years
old) requiring eye surgery. I developed osteopenia
(softened bones). I was unable to absorb fat, protein,
vitamins and minerals. Going gluten free saved my
life. And not overnight. The battle back to wellness
has taken five long years (I'm still not completely
healed).

Gluten free may be an annoyance to you (I apologize
for my trendy HLA DQ8 gene that predisposed me to
develop this auto-immune disease) and in fact, an
inconvenience to me (I must remain diligent and check
every label on every item I put in my mouth), but I
have no choice in this matter. If I desire to write
and paint (as an author, I'm sure you can empathize
with a woman wanting enough energy and good health to
work and live a creative life), and if I desire to
remain healthy for my children, and my beloved
husband, I must, alas, remain gluten free for life.
Sorry to be so annoying!

sincerely,

Karina Allrich
(postal address)

My Blog:: Recipes from a Gluten Free Goddess

Tempting. Healthy. Fabulous.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/