From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:40:55 -0500

I visited Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty today with two middle school age kids  & my husband,(I'm the celiac) and thought you might want to hear of my experience. It's worth the trip, but don't plan on it being celiac-friendly. Although there is a phone number online, including the catering service, on the website (just google Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island), I didn't call them. in advance. I figured it would be way too crowded for them to deal with it, and it would be easier to slip a package of tuna in my fanny pack than take my chances.

You are allowed to bring your own food to both islands, but be aware there is security screening, just like the airport, to get on to the ferry at both terminals... Liberty Park in New Jersey & Battery Park in Manhattan, and then there is even more extensive security checking to get into the base of the statue itself. You absolutely cannot bring food into the statue building. Not by coincidence, there is a gift shop next to the entrance to security, where there are lockers for $1.00@, to store the forbidden food. (I paid $1.00 for the pack of tuna back home and then had to pay $1.00 to store it! But it turned out to be a wise decision.) So plan your meal around the time your ticket says you can go inside the building. (You're given a block of time.)

We were on Liberty Island for lunch.  It's cafeteria style with pizza, fish and chips, cheeseburgers, hotdogs and salads. I grabbed a pre-made chef's salad and took my chances that the miniscule wedge of turkey and cheese didn't do anything to the lettuce, and just tossed them and avoided that part of the plate. (Normally, I wouldn't take a chance, but the salad was large and spread out.) I could not find salad dressing, but I bought a fruit bowl as well and just tossed the fruit chunks and my pack on tuna on the salad...which also had part of a hard-boiled egg. That's ALL I could find to eat on Liberty Island, other than candy. I'm not complaining, but I could see where it would be difficult to please a celiac child.

We didn't have a chance to check out the food at Ellis Island, but I'd presume it's similar....and both are overpriced.

I can only imagine what the immigrants at the turn of the last century went through if any of them had celiac, and surely there were some. Who knew from food intolerances back then!? And a mysterious celiac attack could very well land them in the island's hospital or get them sent back to their homeland.

Lin