From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:06:44 +0000

Dear Bay Area listmates, Need your help- see last paragraph!
I previously posted that Lieber's potato starch in the can at Tel Aviv
Kosher Meats at 2495 Irving Street, San Francisco was verified with the
Rabbi (Rabbi Weissmandl) to have no possibility for cross-contamination and
had yet to verify with the manufacturer their corroboration as to any
cross-contamination risk.  Well, I contacted the manufacturer of Lieber's
potato starch which is VIP Foods and spoke with Esther, whose family owns
VIP Foods.  She is responsive to receiving any calls regarding the following
cited GF products manufactured by VIP Foods (Esther @718-821-5330) whose
ingredients I've not been able to verify:
Chocolate Chiffon cake mix
Marble cake mix
Sponge cake mix
Brownie cake mix
Fudge "
Coffee "
Knaidel mix

Also, many of the stores here in the Bay Area carry Manischewitz products
whose company has difficulty verifying cross-contamination issues when I've
contacted Manischewitz.  So, while I was at Andronico's on Irving Street
recently I spoke with a distributor of West Coast Passover and Kosher
products who was very interested in Lieber's and other GF products.  He
showed me a product called "Bruttini Crunchy Almond Cookies" by Biscaro
Brothers, www.bruttini.com, and distributed by Shottower (866-351-8784).
Interestingly, the package said Gluten-Free but included a disclosure that
the product was made in a facility with wheat products.  This product is
supposedly available at Oliver's in Santa Rosa and Cotati, all Andronico's,
and Mollie Stones according to the distributor representative of MJ Gourmet
(e-mail: [log in to unmask]).  The MJ Gourmet rep's name was A. David
Youssefyeh.  Pls. e-mail him to let him know the celiac community would like
him to help us distribute more GF Passover and Kosher products to retailers
in the Bay Area.
Also, I spoke with one of the managers of Andronico's at Irving, Vince, who
told me that he would consider carrying Lieber's GF products for next year's
Passover as long as distributors are willing to offer such products to him
when he makes his order next year.
Here's looking to next year with our combined efforts.

Laura Y.