From:
Sidona Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:23:05 -0700

I just returned from a 12 day vacation with my two boys.  One of my sons
has Celiac.  I want to make this as short as possible.  I was very
excited with certain successes and wanted to share them.  First of all,
thank you to all who responded on traveling in Wisconsin and the east
coast.  They were very helpful hints.

We flew United.  Over the 12 days we were on 6 different flights.  4
successful gluten-free meals.  The 2 other flights were too short to
even have a meal.  One was breakfast.  It was eggs, fruit & potato
pancakes.  They looked more like pudding, but my son loved them.  The
eggs had broccoli, bell peppers and cheese in them.  My son loved them.
One was a chicken dinner.  Very good.  (I tested everything)  One was a
beans and cheese salad with a marshmallow bar on the side (that had
ingredients listed)  and the last was fruit with cheese.  They always
knew about the meal.  I didn't have to remind anyone, they would come to
our row and say our name and there was the meal.

In Portsmouth, we ate at Yokens.  I didn't ask for any special waiter,
but luck would have it I get one who's niece has celiac.  He was more
than helpful and the chef was extra cautious.  Another successful
dinner.  In Boston, we ate at Legal Seafoods, which is a chain.  The
moment the words came out of my mouth, the waitress confirmed that we
get this all the time and she knew how to help me.  My son had a bunless
burger with rice and corn on the cob.  Another waiter helping brought
the meal out and the buns were on there.  She ran over and said no, no.
As I started telling her we couldn't have that meat either, she said she
knew that and would take care of it.  I assume by the wait that we got a
new burger.  I told her later they were recommended and that she seemed
to know about celiac.  Why?  She said they get a lot of people in with
it and that they even have a chocolate pudding cake (flourless) for just
that reason.  I couldn't believe.  Too bad we were too full for dessert.

Now, real quick on Wisconsin.  First, there's a company called Cybros in
Milwaukee that makes gf bread and delivers to local health food stores.
The first store I go to has gf dinner rolls made by them.  They were
delicious and my son had bbq pork on them and loved it.  There's also a
local bbq sauce called Saz's.  On the ingredient list there's vinegar
and beside the vinegar in parentheses it says (gluten-free).  It also
had modified food starch.  I called and they confirmed that it was gf.
I complimented them on even having gf written by the vinegar.

Lastly, I went to Wausau.  Now, I know this isn't a place where many of
you will frequent.  It's a small town.  But I must tell you, this was
the best part of all.  I went to 3 local grocery stores.  Just regular
grocery stores and they were large ones.  In their dietary section, they
carried gluten free bread, pasta, cookies, flour, etc.  I couldn't
believe it.  I didn't need any, but I was ecstatic that they had it.
Now I will be petitioning for our local stores to do the same.  The
funny thing is this would have been the least likely place I would've
expected it.  This would on average, cut out a lot of extra trips.

I hope this hasn't been too long for anyone.  This was my first big trip
since my son was diagnosed and I worried about it in the beginning, but
it all just went too well.  One more thing.  My friend in New Hampshire
had gone out and purchased many gf products before I got there.  She
made gf chocolate chip cookies before we got there and couldn't have
been more nice and understanding.  My husbands relatives in Wisconsin
were also very, very accommodating.  Even his grandmother, who I thought
would be a problem, very set in her ways and getting much older.  She
was wonderful.  If my mother-in-law could only follow suit.  ;-)

Thank you for listening.  Sidona/San Diego