From:
Debra Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debra Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:17:20 -0500

I had my first gluten free baking experience this past weekend.  That is if you can consider pancakes baking.  I tried Mona's pancake mix and loved it.  I fed my whole family the same kind as it was too much trouble to make them their own separate from mine.

I didn't have the buttermilk called for on the package, so I substituted 1 cup whole milk + 1 cup half and half.  I dumped the whole mix in the bowl with the liquid and realized it was too thin.  I didn't have any more mix to add.  So, I took a very large cookie cutter and a round wide mouth ring from a canning jar and placed them on the grill.  I poured the pancake batter in the "molds" and I was able to get the pancakes quite thick.  My mistake turned out remarkably well.  I have only been gluten free for 4 weeks, so I know very well what the "real" stuff tastes like.  My 3 year old son took the cookie cutters and cut his round pancakes into smaller shapes.  He ate them plain - no butter or syrup.  My husband, who doesn't really like pancakes, loved them as well.  He has only liked the traditional ones about 50% of the time.  Often he has let me know when they didn't taste right (too thin, etc.).  This time he gave me two thumbs up.  (He does most of the cooking - much better at it than I)

I am the eternal pessimist so I never expected these to turn out very good.  I do have some hope for the other mixes (I ordered the sample pack).  But, I won't hold my breath. However, I will continue to buy this pancake mix for life!

I have no affiliation with the company.  If you are interested, their website is www.madeby mona.com.