From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:40:33 -0400

Dear List:
Many helpful people pointed out that Besan is indeed chickpea flour.
1. Some said it is hard to digest
        (My Indian friends had said it needed extra fermentation in order to be
digested--I had used it as a sourdough, and let it rise and rise.
The taste was divine! As soon as I find a noncontaminated brand I'll  do
that Hagman Mock Rye again.)
2.  Many pointed out the danger of contamination in the milling process.
The   flour I bought from an Indian market   is made by House of Spices,
127-40 Willets Pt. Blvd, Flushing, NY   11368.
3. The word Gram on the package does NOT  mean  graham, which some
replies said, is coarsely ground wheat.
Thanks to all who replied.
Nancy in nyc