From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:35:52 -0500

Hi Everyone--

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's in the early 80's - corneas were so dry
that they were "shredded" from all the scratches, and my opthalmologist
told me I would lose my corneas by the time I was 35. I was diagnosed
with IBS at the same time and my doctors just stopped looking for
another cause for my GI problems. I've spent a ton of money on
artificial tears, treatments for frequent eye infections, etc.
Approximately five years ago, I went to a new opthalmalogist who
suggested I have my lower tear ducts closed to preserve moisture on my
eyes - I did and it helped some, but not totally. Two weeks ago, she
closed the upper left tear duct and it's been a wonderful success. A
rather strange feeling, though, having moisture in my eye. She's
planning to close the right duct on August 4 - can't wait!

Anyway, I continued to suffer from gastrointestinal problems until I was
finally tested and diagnosed with CD almost three months ago. I'm
feeling too good right now to be angry, but the CD diagnosis certainly
explains a lot of past problems.

Closing one's tear ducts doesn't work for all who have Sjogren's and a
temporary plug should always be tried first, just in case there is too
much tearing. Lovely thought for those of us with Sjogren's, huh? The gf
diet has not helped the dryness, but has made me feel better otherwise.

Just thought some of you might be interested....  Ayn.