From:
Thai One <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:11:12 EST

After I posted that there seemed to be no responses to my query regarding the
gf status of liquors I received the following information.

One person suggested I try to get the information from the distributor. doing
that in the past has been frustrating but I will try again and post if I get
any where.

One person suggested I go to the following web site.
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-index.html
Since the information was long and not definitive ,I suggest that you check
the site personally and decide for yourself.

The next response was the following information. I am quoting it in total to
be sure I quote it correctly.

"The GF status of liquors depends on your personal belief in whether the
distillation process allows for gluten to be a part of the finished
product - be it vinegar or liquor.

If you believe the "true science of distillation" - that says all
distilled products do NOT contain gluten - then all Liquors (and
vinegars) are safe as long as there are no gluten containing products
added to them after distillation.

If you do not accept the scientific facts, than the only liquors that
are "safe" are those that are distilled from not offending grains; such
as rum, tequila, brandy, potato vodka, etc."

The bottom line is that since I am allergic to corn, and rice as well as
being gluten sensitive, I am staying away from liquors. I do drink a bit of
red or white wine on rare occasions. I operate on the better safe than sorry
motto.

Thaione in NY and Florida