From:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:34:57 EST

Boy was that an education, and to think I thought I almost knew it all!!!

In summary, Vitamin E is derived from grain, sometimes wheat.  If a
product has added Vitamin E, check with the manufacturer as to the
source.  Straight Vitamin E should state whether it is gf or not (gf is
most likely soy based).  Nature Made (1-800-276-2878.  They also have a
website at www.naturemade.com), GNC, and Freeda were mentioned as having
gf Vitamin E.  I also had an interesting response regarding the science
of Vitamin E:

Actually, I think it tends to come from soy more often than wheat germ.
dl-Alpha tocopherols is synthetic, d-Alpha tocopherols is natural and just a
tad better for you. And it's the alpha tocopherols you want most of rather
than "mixed tocopherols."

Thanks to everyone that responded.  Jenn in Illinois.